Why you NEED a Facebook Business Page!Monday, February 15th, 2010
A little information about Facebook…
First off, if you have not yet heard of Facebook, thanks for coming out of your cave. I’d like to heartily welcome you to the Internet. But seriously, Facebook is MORE than just a fad; it’s entrenched and growing. Just check out these stats…
- 400 million active users (yes, we think this is a lot too!)
- 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- 35 million users update their status each day
- 60 million status updates posted each day
- 3 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
- 5 billion pieces of content (links, updates, blog posts, photos, etc.) each week
- 3.5 million events created each month
- 3 million active Pages on Facebook
- 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
- 20 million people become fans of Pages each day
- Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans (paying attention?)
What is a Facebook Business Page?
A Facebook Page is a public profile that enables you to share your business and products with Facebook users. However, after downloading the Facebook Pages Product Guide, I like their description…
A Facebook Page is a customizable presence for an organization, product or public personality to join the conversation with Facebook users. The Page focuses on the stream of content posted by the Page administrators. By leveraging the real connections between friends on Facebook, a Page lets Fans become brand advocates. Posts by the Page will start to appear in News Feed, giving Pages a stronger voice to reach their Fans.
Have I lost you yet… do you still want one?
So you read the above description and it didn’t scare you off? That’s great, then depending on how you view Facebook, privacy crusher or ultimate connector, you might be curious how to accomplish the “creating, connecting and engaging” mentioned above. In this article, I’ll attempt to demystify the process.
Why does my business need Facebook?
If the astronomical numbers of Facebook don’t have your jaw dropping, then I think you may need to wake up to the realization that Facebook is a force to be reckoned with; and I’ll venture to guess that because their demographic consists of 25 years and up, your target customer is in there somewhere. However, there’s more… it used to be true that you had to be a Fortune 500 company with a multimillion dollar budget to afford advertising on a site like Facebook. Now, any business can create a Facebook Business Page and market it directly on Facebook.
You can connect directly with your customers…
And yes, this IS a good thing. Facebook says, “When your fans interact with your Facebook Page, stories linking to your Page can go to their friends via News Feed. As these friends interact with your Page, News Feed keeps driving word-of-mouth to a wider circle of friends.” We say, the more people see you, your company, your brand, you logo, your services and your products, the more likely they might want to buy from you when the time is right.
Never seen a Facebook Business Page?
If you really want to see a sample Facebook business page, check out Glide on Facebook. In fact, don’t stop there; why not become a FAN of GLIDE? Not only will you be immediately putting your newfound information to action, but for every business owner that personally becomes a fan of GLIDE on Facebook, I’ll gladly assist you in creating your very own Facebook page.
What if you’re too busy to update?
We all get busy, overworked and downright off track during the day to day operation of life and business. At GLIDE, we’re optimists that have been pounded into realists through life’s unending tribulation and trials. But we don’t give up, and we don’t back down; in fact we remain resolute and push forward. You, too, should press forward and realize that social marketing is not going away, and it is here to stay. For now just TRUST us, create an account ASAP, and we’ll give you some quality reasons to get started below.
Facebook fans can be paying customers!
You’ll need a few things to get started. The most important will be the name of your page and the profile photos. After that comes helpful contact and useful informational links. For example, if you are a restaurant or bar, detailed info like address and store hours will help. If you’re a band or a film, adding songs and videos is key. If you’re a brand or product, photos of your offering and hyperlinks to independent reviews will make an impact. Gather what you’ve got handy — and you can always add more later.
Create a Facebook Business Page in 10 Minutes
I have listed the basic steps as outlined in the Facebook “Step by Step” guide, and to be honest, they are the experts at what is required and what is most effective. If you would like more elaboration on the below steps, go here and click on the “Step by Step” tab.
- Go here… http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
- Pick a category and name
- Add a profile picture
- Add information
- Make it rich and engaging
- Update Regularly
Simple tips for keeping your facebook page “fresh”
- Connect your blog to automatically update your Facebook
- Post photos from SOME office event at least once a month
- Create a give away or freebie to give to your fans
- Throw a contest to give your services to a charity of one of your fans
- Connect your twitter account to update your Facebook (or vice-versa)
- Talk about relevant news that makes sense to your business
How to choose a URL for your Facebook Page
If you haven’t noticed the URL you get when you create a facebook fan page looks a lot like this… http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-TX/GreenScapes-Landscaping-Austin-TX/448663320260 (90 letters… yuck!). However it doesn’t have to be and as long as you have a little motivation you can get it looking like this… http://www.facebook.com/greenscapes (29 letters… much better) which is much more brand centric and also tremendously easier to read. One note, if you’d like to create your own specialized URL, you’ll need to have a minimum of 25 fans, so get the word out.
- Log into Facebook… http://www.facebook.com/
- Go here… http://www.facebook.com/username
- Click on “Set a username for your Pages”
- Select the page from drop-down and type desired URL
- Click “Check Availability” button and cross your fingers
- If it’s available just confirm and you’re good to go
- Basic Information on Facebook Pages
- Creating, Administering and Editing Your Page
- Promoting Your Facebook Page
- Creating a Custom URL in Facebook
- Facebook Statistics
“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.” — Johann von Goethe